Popular Posts

Friday, November 18, 2011

Fajitas and homemade tortillas!


Shredded beef, Poblano chili, sweet potato and lime-marinated red onion fajitas with homemade tortillas

This recipe  was one I found through a friends blog, and it looked so pretty I just couldn’t resist. The lime marinated red onion is FANTASTIC, DON’T SKIP IT!
I also decided to  make my own tortillas, since I’m super snobby about them ( I hate store bought ones) and my favorite tortillaria was closed. If you have a little time, this a perfect dinner for everyone in the family!

Tortillas:
You’ll need:
 4 cups All Purpose flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp margarine ( or lard, or shortening)
¼ Tsp Salt
1 ½-2 cups Water

Whisk together all dry ingredients. Then place margarine in bowl and mix together with fingers ( the batter will resemble corn meal, slightly). Then add water, and work the dough until it comes together ( I started mixing with a spoon, and when it was a little thicker kneaded it with my hands).  Roll into tiny ball sized pieces ( however big you want your tortillas). Roll with a rolling pin, then place in a greased pan on medium high heat. Cook on each side until bubbly. Viola! Your own tortillas!

Now, on to the fajitas. I made adjustments from the recipe on my friends site, to tailor to my families tastes.
You’ll need:
Feeds 4-6
1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced into paper thin half-moon slices
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (should take about 3 limes)
2 good sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick sticks
1 package shredded beef ( or really any meat you prefer!)
3 fresh poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded and roasted*, and sliced into thin strips
Queso Fresco cheese
Salt

First, slice your red onion in half, and then cut into little half moons. Place in a bowl, and pour lime juice over them ( you want it to cover the onions). Then add in salt. Let this marinade while you make the rest of the recipe.

Cut each pepper in half and remove stems and seeds. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down, and place under broiler until skin is bubbly/blistered and black. Remove from oven and place pepper halves in plastic bag. Let sit in steam for about 20 minutes. Peel skin from peppers and slice into thin strips.

Place sweet potato sticks and about 1/4 cup of water into a microwave safe dish with a lid. Microwave, covered, on high power for 6 minutes or until tender. (This was what the original recipe said to do and it’s an AWESOME time saving tip!!!) Also, I used 1 potato instead of 2, but it’s really preference.

For the meat, place into a skillet on medium/high heat. I used garlic salt, paprika and taco seasoning on ours, and it turned out great. Cook through.

Now, place onions and peppers along with the marinade from the onions in with the meat and stir together. I did this to soften the onions, because I didn’t want them to be too cruncy.

Time to make your fajitas, layer on your meat, peppers and onion as well as your sweet potatoes. Crumble the queso fresco over it ( this will crumble in your fingers, YUMMY and EASY!)
Now you’re ready to eat, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment